Edinburgh Theological Seminary has a long history.
Originally the Free Church of Scotland College, its roots date back to the 1843 and the Disruption. This was when 450 evangelical ministers, in protest at the interference of the state in the affairs of the Church, left the Church of Scotland to form the Free Church of Scotland.
One of the first priorities of this fledgling denomination was to train its ministers so they opened the first Free Church College in November 1843. The current premises on the Mound have been in use since 1907.
We are now one of the oldest theological colleges in Scotland.